Mold infestation is a serious problem that is underestimated. Get to understand implications of Mold Exposure Symptoms and how to control them!
Mold infestation is one of the most underrated environmental hazards we live among. Also known as mildew, mold infestation can have far reaching consequences on our health if proper attention is not paid. The main cause of concern is the wide range of allergic reactions that mold invokes in people. While some people manifest mild symptoms, others can have a great deal of difficulty dealing with mold exposure. The most common Mold Exposure Symptoms include watery and itchy eyes, redness of the eyes, a runny nose, coughing, wheezing, and rashes. Before we go into the health implications of mold, it’s necessary to understand the different kinds of molds and the environment that gives them the upper hand to grow and thrive.
Mold is basically a kind of fungus. Of course, there are various kinds of mold that thrive in different environments. The most common kind of mold encountered in our homes is the white, slightly gray colored type that you see in your shower stall and other areas in the bathroom that are constantly exposed to moisture. These organisms are extremely versatile and can survive in just about any environment; however, they thrive in enclosed spaces that are warm, have a reasonable amount of moisture, and humid.
The most common areas where a mold infestation can occur include:
- Kitchens and bathrooms
- Beneath or behind fixtures or machines that have a small leak or moisture accumulation, such as a refrigerator
- Leaks on the roof
- Surrounding windows where there is a high likelihood for condensation to settle
- The basement, where it is humid and moist
Molds spread out through the formation of minute spores that are under our visual radar. The spores are designed to withstand the harshest conditions. They spores travel through the air and can cover considerable distances until they land up in an environment that is suitable for mold growth, which is basically an area that is moist and humid. In this environment, the mold will grow. Left unattended mold can cause extensive damage to your furniture, walls, and just about any surface they land up on.
Different Types of Molds
More than a thousand kinds of mold have been identified in the United States alone by scientists, and these are just the ones growing in our homes. From the perspective of how they affect us and TMold Exposure Symptoms, molds can be broadly classified into three types:
Allergenic Molds: These are considered to be the most harmless of the lot since they are not directly linked with life threatening conditions in humans. The problem is that children have weak immune systems and are just developing their disease fighting capabilities. Most children under the age of 6 are known to manifest allergic reactions to mold. Some can be extremely sensitive to certain mold types and this can pose a challenge, especially if the child is asthmatic.
Pathogenic molds: These are the type of molds that are capable of causing some level of damage in the form infections. Just as described above, the problem can be compounded if the victim has an immune system that is in some way compromised. The conditions they can cause include hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which can cause a great deal of difficulty. One form of pathogenic mold is the Aspergillus fumigates, which are found to grow in the lungs of victims with a weakened immune system.
Toxigenic Molds: These are the molds that can cause some serious damage through the mycotoxins present in them. Also known as toxic molds, this kind of mold can affect even the healthiest of individuals and wreak havoc on their immune system and even cause cancer. Aflatoxin is one such toxigenic mold that can have a devastating effect on your health and can even prove to be life threatening if proper treatment is not administered in time.
Health Conditions Associated With Mold Exposure
When it comes to mold infestation, most people are worried about the symptoms caused by exposure to mold and the treatment is focused on relieving those symptoms. However, exposure to mold can have much bigger consequences and it is important to eliminate the root of the problem instead of just abating the TMold Exposure Symptoms. Some of the adverse effects of mold exposure include:
- Vascular problems such as fragile blood vessels, hemorrhaging lungs and tissues
- Mold can be responsible for a wide range of digestive problems as well causing fibrosis, liver damage, extended bouts of vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Respiratory conditions such as difficulty with breathing and bleeding lungs.
- Mold can also be the culprit for neurological disorders such as lack of or decreased coordination, tremors, multiple sclerosis, and even clinical depression.
- Mold can be particularly damaging to the skin causing photosensitivity, rash formation, and sloughing.
- Mold exposure can also cause urinary complexities such as a toxic kidney, which can be a fatal condition if not identified and treated in time.
What makes diagnosis and treatment so challenging is the fact that the responses to a mold infestation is so varied and tends to be different from person to person. Most people take the common TMold Exposure Symptoms to be the sign of something relatively less harmful such as a flu attack or a climatic change.
How Can You Take the Fight Back
Even after you have established the fact that you are under attack from molds, getting rid of them can be extremely difficult. There is only so much that hot water cleansing and bleach can do. The best remedy is of course to prevent the onset by taking far sighted preventative measures. However, if you are already in the middle of an identified attack, you need to take steps to contain and eliminate the problem.
For starters, get yourself a high quality air purifier so that you can establish control over the spread of mold toxins and Mold Exposure Symptoms. You need a photocatalytic oxidation unit that covers the entire house. It requires little to no maintenance, and is comparatively cheap to acquire.
If the problem is not contained, you will need to seek professional help from a remediator. This is especially the case if you are facing black mold infestation. This can prove to be costly, but it is much better than spending tens of thousands of dollars on treating your family members.
At the end of the day, it is important to understand that a mold infestation needs to be taken seriously and the best strategy is to take preventative measures that keep mold at bay.